Christmas can be the best and most stressful time of the year. It’s easy to get distracted with the gift-buying, decorating and events instead of focusing on the reason why we get to celebrate: Jesus.
Here are some ideas to help your family catch the spirit of giving:
- Find a place to serve together. Ask your church if they have any opportunities to get out and serve your community. Serve at a soup kitchen or ask an elderly person what they may need help fixing around the house.
- Be the light. Look for ways to spread some Christmas cheer – even in the always-too-long grocery store line or the never-ending traffic light by the mall. Remember that you have the power to turn someone’s day around – it could be as simple as a smile or paying it forward in line at the coffee shop.
- Make gift bags for the homeless. Grab the family and get supplies for a gift bag: hand sanitizer, trail mix, hand warmers, a beanie, a flashlight, and gift cards are a few options that may help and be an encouragement.
- Bring a meal to a family in need – or have them over to spend time with your family! Either way, sharing a meal with someone is a great way to share the love of Jesus.
- Pay someone’s utility bill. Call your church and ask them if they know of anyone who needs a bill paid. Offer to anonymously pay the bill and be an answer to prayer!
Scripture to memorize or place around your house to remind you of the greatest gift:
- Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift! – 2 Corinthians 9:15
- For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. – Isaiah 9:6
- Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased! – Luke 2:14
- In him was life, and the life was the light of men. – John 1:4
Merry Christmas from The Light FM! We pray you experience the love of Jesus more than ever before as you celebrate His birth.